October 14th, 1999 Food and Drug Administration U.S. Department Of Health and Human Services Public Health Service 5600 Fishers Lane Rockville, MD 20857
Pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act and in regard your August 17th, 1999 ruling regarding colloidal silver, could you please supply the following documentation on which you based your decision?
1. The number of deaths related to the consumption of colloidal silver.
2. The number of allergic reactions to the consumption of colloidal silver.
3. The number of harmful drug interactions from both OTC and prescription drugs when combined with colloidal silver.
4. The number of reported cases of Argyria from colloidal silver made with the AC or DC electrical process.
5. The number of cases of Argyria from colloidal silver that did not contain protein stabilizers.
Thank you for your time and consideration of this request.
Sincerely, Brent Finnegan
The FDA response:
Public Health Service Center for Drug Evaluation and Research Office of Training and Communication Freedom of Information Staff HFD-205 5600 Fishers Lane 12 B 05 Rockville, Maryland 20857 DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
November 3, 1999
In Response Refer to File: F99-22589
Brent Finnigan Takoma (sic), WA 98408
Dear Mr. Finnigan:
This is in response to your request of 10/14/99, in which you requested adverse events associated with the use of Colloidal Silver. Your request was received in the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research on 10/25/99.
We have searched the records from FDA's Adverse Event Reporting System (AERS) and have been unable to locate any cases that would be responsive to your request.
If there are any problems with this response, please notify us in writing of your specific problem(s).